- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Oyster Filled Artichokes Recipe
|Artichokes||5 Pound (12 Medium Size)|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), split|
|For oyster filling|
|Oysters with liquor||2 Pint, uncooked|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Unsalted butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Sticks)|
|Chopped green onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Ground red pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Frozen artichoke hearts||18 Ounce, thawed, sliced (2 Packages, 9 Ounce Each)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5546 Calories from Fat 3177
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 360 g554.5%
Saturated Fat 193.4 g966.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1375.5 mg
Sodium 9860.6 mg410.9%
Total Carbohydrates 396 g131.9%
Dietary Fiber 157.2 g628.8%
Sugars 32 g
Protein 244 g487.4%
Vitamin A 386.8% Vitamin C 678.3%
Calcium 222.4% Iron 249.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Discard the stalks and a ½ inch top portion of artichoke. Snap off the spike end and remove discolored leaves. Wash with cold water, drain and keep aside.
2. Take a 8 quart large kettle, add 3 inch water and bring to a boil. Mix lemon slices, olive oil, 1 split garlic clove, 1/8 tsp pepper and 1 tsp salt. Add the artichokes, cover and on low heat simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or till the base of artichokes can be pierced using a fork. Drain the artichokes and allow to cool. Arrange artichokes to show off the middle, scoop and throw away the choke. Keep aside the artichokes.
3. Drain the oyster, discard the shell bits, if any, and keep aside the oysters. Mix water to the oyster liquid and prepare 6 cups of the liquid.
4. Take a large saucepan, add butter and melt it. Sauté in garlic, green onion, red pepper, salt, white pepper, artichoke heart slices and thyme for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and mix well. Gradually add reserved oyster liquid and cream and blend well. Place on medium heat and stirring continuously bring to boil. Lower the heat and continuing to stir, simmer for 5 minutes. Mix in oysters and continue simmering for 3 more minutes. Take off from heat.
5. Fill each of the artichoke center with oyster mixture. Top with Parmesan cheese, arrange in a shallow baking pan or broiler pan without rack and allow to broil at a distance 6 inches from heat to turn cheese golden.
6. Serve hot.