- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Oxtail Casserole Recipe
|Oxtail||3 Pound, in pieces, trimmed of excess fat|
|Lard/Dripping||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Carrots||2 Large, chopped|
|Celery head||1⁄2 , chopped|
|Fatty bacon slices||2 , chopped|
|Beef stock||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Browning gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 1119 Calories from Fat 532
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 59 g91%
Saturated Fat 5.3 g26.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.8 mg
Sodium 784.6 mg32.7%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.5%
Sugars 6.4 g
Protein 120 g240.2%
Vitamin A 122.9% Vitamin C 14.6%
Calcium 6% Iron 9.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cook the oxtail in the dripping or the lard quickly on all sides and brown it.
2) Bring out from the pan.
3) Now, to the pan add the bacon and the vegetables and gently cook for 5 minutes.
4) Mix the flour and stir cook for a minute.
5) Bring back the oxtail to the pan and add the rest of the ingredients, except the browning gravy.
6) Simmer the ingredients covered for four hours or until the meat becomes very tender and falls off the bones easily.
7) Take a serving dish and arrange the meat on it, keep it hot.
8) Boil the cooking liquid until it is reduced to 2 cups or 3/4 pint (450 ml).
9) Strain the liquid on to the oxtail.
10) Serve with bread.