- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Our Nanny's Honest Irish Stew Recipe
|Lamb neck||3 Pound|
|Potatoes||12 Medium (even sized)|
|Onions||1 Large, cut into thick slices|
|Ground thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
Calories 883 Calories from Fat 439
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g74.9%
Saturated Fat 23.5 g117.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 152 mg
Sodium 269.2 mg11.2%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g34.6%
Sugars 4.9 g
Protein 45 g90%
Vitamin A 0.5% Vitamin C 120.4%
Calcium 10.7% Iron 33.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350F.
2) Trim the excess fat from the lamb neck. Slice the neck into sections through the bones.
3) Peel the potatoes. Slice four of the potatoes into thin slices. Leave the remaining potatoes as it is.
4) In a heavy metal saucepan or casserole, add in the sliced potatoes, half the amount of sliced onions. Add in the lamb pieces on top of the onions.
5) Sprinkle the mixture with salt and pepper.
6) Take the other half of the sliced onions and sprinkle them with thyme. Mix well. Now spread the seasoned onion evenly over the lamb.
7) Arrange the remaining whole potatoes over the mixture. Pour in 2 cups of cold water over the mixture.
8) Cover the saucepan tightly. Poach the meat for 2 1/2 hours in the oven. Alternatively, cook the meat over a low flame for about 2 1/2 hours.
9) The sliced potatoes will make the mixture thick as it cooks with time.
10) Serve the Our Nanny's Honest Irish Stew hot with accompaniments like capers, homemade mustard and chopped chives or parsley.