- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Osso Buco Recipe
|Veal shank||2 Pound|
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||16 Ounce, mashed (1 Can)|
|Garlic buds||3 , minced|
|Dried basil||2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Lemon peel||2 Teaspoon, freshly grated|
Calories 429 Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.2%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 170.1 mg
Sodium 209.8 mg8.7%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.6%
Sugars 8.3 g
Protein 47 g93.2%
Vitamin A 32.4% Vitamin C 55.9%
Calcium 17.8% Iron 26%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) From the veal shanks, remove all the visible fat.
2) In a heavy Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the veal shanks and 1/4 cup of red wine.
3) Cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
4) Now, uncover and cook until the liquid evaporates and the meat turns really brown.
5) To this, add the remaining cup of wine, mashed tomatoes along with their juice, onions, garlic, bay leaves, basil, oregano and pepper.
6) Cover the dish and simmer for 2 hours. Check if the meat is tender.
7) Again, uncover and continue to cook until the sauce turns very thick.
8) To individual plates, transfer the veal shanks.
9) Over each serving, spoon the sauce evenly.
10) Top each serving with 1 tablespoon of parsley and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon peel and serve hot.