- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Orange Prune Muffins Recipe
|Pitted prunes||12 , cut into eighths|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Grated orange zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dark brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Cooked bulgur||1 Cup (16 tbs) (1/3 Cup Raw Cracked Wheat)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3408 Calories from Fat 587
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g102.5%
Saturated Fat 9.5 g47.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg
Sodium 2196.6 mg91.5%
Total Carbohydrates 655 g218.4%
Dietary Fiber 57.1 g228.6%
Sugars 195.7 g
Protein 66 g131.6%
Vitamin A 127.1% Vitamin C 109.4%
Calcium 81.7% Iron 127.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Spray 12 muffin tin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line them with paper liners.
3. Cook the prunes and orange juice in a small saucepan over medium-low heat 4 minutes, or until the liquid has nearly evaporated. Remove from the heat and stir in the buttermilk and orange zest
4. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; make a well in the center.
5. In another medium-size bowl combine the oil, molasses, sugar and egg, and mix until blended. Add the prunes and cracked wheat, and mix until blended. Pour the mixture into the well in the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
6. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake 20 minutes, or until the muffins are firm and browned.