- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Orange Poppy Seed Bread Recipe
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Poppy seed||2 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cooking oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely shredded orange peel||2 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, divided|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon, divided|
|Sifted powdered sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 1024 Calories from Fat 396
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69%
Saturated Fat 7.5 g37.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 111.4 mg
Sodium 320.7 mg13.4%
Total Carbohydrates 145 g48.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.9%
Sugars 94 g
Protein 12 g24.9%
Vitamin A 4.4% Vitamin C 20%
Calcium 26.1% Iron 22.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350°.
2) In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, poppy seed, baking powder, and salt.
3) Add eggs, milk, oil, orange peel, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to the mixture.
4) Use an electric mixer to beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
5) Use 2 greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pans to pour the batter.
6) Place inside oven to bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean.
7) In a medium bowl, prepare the glaze by combining powdered sugar, orange juice, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon almond extract until smooth.
8) Use a long-tined fork, to poke holes in tops of baked loaves.
9) Spread the glaze over loaves.
10) Allow the loaves to cool in pans for 10 minutes.
11) Remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
12) Serve the bread with orange marmalade or any fruit jam.