- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Orange Madeleines Recipe Video
|Orange||1 Large, grated for zest|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|White sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted (1 stick)|
|Dark chocolate||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs) (small pieces/ chunks)|
Calories 523 Calories from Fat 253
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.1%
Saturated Fat 16.7 g83.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 219.5 mg73.2%
Sodium 220.3 mg9.2%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.4%
Sugars 32.6 g
Protein 9 g17.7%
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 37.7%
Calcium 15.1% Iron 15.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Using a sieve, sift the flour into a large ball. Add the baking powder, salt, and cardamom.
2. Mix the ingredients with a whisk, until they are all well incorporated. Set aside.
3. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C).
4. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar, at high speed, using an electric egg beater until you get a thick whitish mixture.
5. Mix in the orange zest into the egg and sugar mixture.
6. Using a spatula, add in the flour mixture gradually in small quantities. Once a part of flour is completely incorporated into the egg mixture, then add more flour. Otherwise, you will get chunks of flour in your cakes if it is not mixed well.
7. Once the flour is completely integrated into the egg mixture, add the melted butter, and mix using a spatula until you get a smooth batter.
8. Fill the madeleine molds 3/4 of the way, so that they do not overflow.
9. If making chocolate heart madeleines, just add a small chocolate piece in the center of the madeleine mold (after you fill it with batter) and cover it a little bit of batter.
10. Reduce the heat of the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) before placing the madeleines in the oven. Bake at this temperature for around 5 minutes.
11. Further reduce the heat of the oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C) then continue baking the madeleines for another 5 minutes. Do not over bake the madeleines otherwise, they will become dry (half way through baking, you may have to turn the baking pan around so that both sides of the pan bake evenly).
12. Once done, the madeleines will look golden brown. Remove them from the moulds, place them in a grid, and let them cool down for 30 minutes before serving.
13. In a serving platter, serve the madeleines as dessert.
You will need a 'madeleine' baking pan to get the famous shell shape of the madeleines. If you dont have one, you could use a muffin tin and just place paper cups in the pan, and bake the madeleines into the shape of cupcakes. If you have a high quality madeleine pan, you do not need to butter the pan. Otherwise, butter then
pan before pouring the batter into it.