- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Orange Flan Recipe
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light cream/1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||6 Large|
|Honey||3 Tablespoon (Preferably Orange-Blossom)|
Calories 358 Calories from Fat 148
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.7%
Saturated Fat 8.7 g43.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 283.5 mg
Sodium 74.2 mg3.1%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.7%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.6%
Sugars 42.9 g
Protein 8 g16.2%
Vitamin A 16.6% Vitamin C 73.7%
Calcium 14.5% Iron 5.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, place 1 cup sugar over a medium-high heat and stir with a wooden spoon until it begins to melt. Stir continuously until it turns a dark amber color and starts smoking.
3) ln a shallow ovenproof dish as a Pyrex pie plate, immediately pour the caramel, tilt the dish to evenly coat the sides and bottom with the caramel, keep aside.
4) Peel the oranges with a peeler in long strips, then place the orange peel, cream, and milk into the same saucepan and scald it. Keep aside to steep, stirring occasionally.
5) Squeeze the oranges and measure 2/3 cup juice.
6) In a small pan, bring the juice to a boil, then simmer on a low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, skimming any foam, until the juice is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Remove in a small bowl and allow to cool.
7) In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, eggs, honey and 2 tablespoons sugar together to just combine. Whisk in the reduced orange juice.
8) Return the milk mixture to scalding hot, pour into the egg mixture in a slow stream whisking continuously. Then strain the mixture into the prepared dish.
9) Place the dish in a slightly larger pan for a water bath. Pour hot water into the larger pan to about 2/3 way up the custard dish and cover loosely with an aluminum foil.
10) Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 1/2 hours. Remove the dish from the water bath and allow cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate covered overnight.
11) Unmold the flan on a large serving plate and chill the flan until ready to serve.
12) Cut into slices and serve cold.