- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Orange Date Nut Cookies Recipe
|Dates||10 Ounce, chopped|
|Orange rind||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Orange juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs), finley toasted|
Calories 233 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.5%
Saturated Fat 5.2 g26%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 69.5 mg2.9%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.7%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.1%
Sugars 20.3 g
Protein 2 g4.8%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 1.2%
Calcium 3.7% Iron 5.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Line a 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan with aluminum foil or plastic wrap such that the it extends over the edges. Set aside
2. In a food processor bowl, with the knife blade attached, combine the dates, orange rind and juice.
3. Pulse in 3-4 short bursts of 15 seconds each, until dates are finely chopped. Keep aside
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F before baking is required.
5. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until soft.
6. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and creamy.
7. Gradually add egg and the vanilla, beating until well blended into the creamed mixture.
8. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
9. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in batches, beating at low speed to make dough.
10. Turn out on a flour dusted surface and divide into 3 portions.
11. Into one portion, knead 1/2 cup pecans then press to line bottom of prepared pan.
12. Into the second portion knead date mixture and press over pecan dough in pan.
13. Into the last portion knead remaining 1/2 cup pecans and press over date mixture.
14. Cover pan with extra foil at the edges and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until well chilled.
15. Invert loaf pan onto a cutting board. Carefully peel off and discard aluminum foil/plastic wrap.
16. Cut dough into half lengthwise and then again each half into half to get 4 equal strips.
17. Cut each section of dough crosswise into 1/8 inch thick slices.
18. Place slices on lightly greased cookie sheets keeping 1 ½ inch space between each
19. Bake in a preheated oven for 9 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
20. Cool slightly on baking sheets; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
21. Serve the cookies with tea or coffee or wrap and include in your gift hamper.