- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Orange Crescents Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 package)|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Orange peel||1 Teaspoon, shredded|
|Confectioners' sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Orange juice||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 124 Calories from Fat 25
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.3%
Saturated Fat 0.8 g4%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 9.8 mg
Sodium 12.3 mg0.5%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.51 g2%
Sugars 10 g
Protein 2 g4.6%
Vitamin A 0.5% Vitamin C 1.5%
Calcium 1.5% Iron 4.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Combine together the yeast and 1 ¾ cups of flour in a large mixer bowl.
2) Heat the shortening, milk, sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt till just warm, occasionally stirring to melt the shortening.
3) Add the mixture to the dry mixture in the bowl. Add the peel and egg.
4) With an electric mixer, beat the mixture at low speed for about ½ minute, scraping the bowl sides constantly.
5) Set eh mixer speed to high and beat for 3 minutes.
6) Stir in the remaining flour by hand.
7) In a greased bowl, place the mixture and turn to grease the surface.
8) Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
9) Divide the mixture into 2 parts and roll each part into a 9-inch circle.
10) Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
11) Starting with the wide end, roll up each wedge and on greased baking sheets, place the wedges, points down.
12) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
13) In a warm place, let the wedges rise till double in volume (about 1 ¼ hours).
14) Bake the wedges in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
15) While the crescents are baking, prepare the orange glaze. Combine together 1 ½ cups of sifted confectioners sugar. ½ teaspoon of grated orange peel and a dash of salt.
16) Add just enough orange juice to achieve the desired consistency.
17) While the crescents are still hot, glaze them with the orange glaze and serve right away, or allow to stand at room temperature for a bit and then serve.