- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Orange Cake Recipe
|Orange rind||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Orange juice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), strained|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 , beaten|
|Cake flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Egg whites||3 , beaten|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Orange juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 659 Calories from Fat 199
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g34.6%
Saturated Fat 13.3 g66.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 122.8 mg
Sodium 439.7 mg18.3%
Total Carbohydrates 110 g36.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.9%
Sugars 67.1 g
Protein 9 g17.1%
Vitamin A 16.4% Vitamin C 50.2%
Calcium 21.4% Iron 3.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease sandwich cake tins with butter and dust them with flour. Line the bottom with greased paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F
3. Into a bowl, sift together twice, the flour, baking powder and salt. Keep aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl of an electric beater, combine the butter and sugar.
5. Using an electric beater, or a wire whisk cream the ingredients until the mixture is light and fluffy.
6. Add the egg yolks to the creamed mixture, little at a time, beating well after each addition until well blended.
7. Combine the water and orange juice with rind
8. Into the batter, fold in the sifted dry ingredients, using a spatula, a cup at a time, adding the liquid alternately. Fold into the batter in one direction to prevent your cake from becoming dense.
9. Gently fold in the beaten and stiff egg whites, making sure that you do not overwork the batter to keep it light
10. Immediately pour the batter into the prepared cake tins dividing it equally.
11. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes until the cakes leave the sides of the tins and are spongy to touch. Insert a skewer and see if it comes out clean.
12. Remove the cake from the oven wearing oven mitts and allow them to rest in the tins for 5 minutes then invert them on a wire rack to cool completely. Peel off butter paper.
13. In the meant time, prepare the filling by combining all the ingredients together in a saucepan and cooking it over a double boiler for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until thick and transparent.
14. Sandwich the cakes with the filling and frost the top and sides.
15. Place on a cake stand and slice at the table.