- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Orange Almond Cake Recipe
|Oranges||2 Large (Preferably Seedless Naval Variety)|
|Ground almonds||175 Milliliter (3/4 Cup)|
|Ground sunflower seeds||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|Whole wheat pastry flour||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Honey||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 248 Calories from Fat 58
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g10%
Saturated Fat 0.81 g4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg
Sodium 394.3 mg16.4%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.3%
Dietary Fiber 4 g15.9%
Sugars 23.6 g
Protein 12 g24.4%
Vitamin A 5.5% Vitamin C 50.4%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large saucepan, place the oranges and cover them with water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer oranges for 30 minutes.
2. When cooked, remove from water and cool.
3. Chop oranges with the peel, discarding piths and seeds.
4. Place chopped oranges, in batches, in a food processor and blend on low speed just until finely chopped but not pureed. Keep aside.
5. Lightly grease a 9-inch (23-cm) spring form pan with a little oil.
6. Preheat the oven to 375Â°F (190Â°C.)
7. In a large bowl, combine almonds, sunflower seeds, flour and baking soda.
8. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and egg whites.
9. Blend in honey and Vanilla Extract into the eggs.
10. Stir the ground orange mixture into the egg mixture.
11. Add orange- egg mixture to dry ingredients and blend into a batter.
12. Pour batter into spring form pan
13. Bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour or until set and firm.
14. Let cool in turned off oven, with door left ajar, for about 20 minutes.
15. Remove from oven and remove ring from spring form pan.
16. Slice into wedges and serve cake at room temperature or chilled without frosting.