- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Open Sandwich My Way! Recipe
|Sandwich bread slice||8|
|Baked beans||16 Ounce|
|Cheese slice||8 (preferably American)|
|Tomato||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Green chili||To Taste, finely chopped|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, finely chopped|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Teaspoon (adjust quantity as per taste)|
|Cilantro sprigs||3 , finely chopped|
|Salsa||8 Teaspoon (hot sauce)|
Calories 415 Calories from Fat 164
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.4%
Saturated Fat 14.1 g70.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 52.5 mg
Sodium 1324.2 mg55.2%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g13.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.3%
Sugars 11.6 g
Protein 21 g41.9%
Vitamin A 22.3% Vitamin C 13%
Calcium 42% Iron 99.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the Bread slices flat on a baking/cookie sheet.
3. Bake/toast them in the oven till they are light golden.
4. Flip them around and let them toast on the other side. The Bread should be very crisp.
5. In a bowl, mix in the following well: Onions, Tomatoes, Green Chili, Cilantro, Lemon Juice and Salt.
6. Place a slice of Cheese on each of the toasts.
7. Spoon and spread the Baked Beans (approximately 2 tbsp) over each slice of Cheese.
8. Pour the desired amount of Salsa/Hot Sauce over Baked Beans.
9. Spread the Onion, Tomato, Green Chili mixture over the salsa.
10. Place the cookie sheet back in the oven bake for another 5 minutes - or till the cheese starts to melt.
11. Remove from Oven and serve immediately.
1. Health Tip - To save on calories, use 1/2 slice of cheese instead of the whole slice. Just break the cheese into small pieces and spread it out on the toast.
2. Tastes best when served hot and crisp, otherwise it will get soggy.
3. For a kid’s version, just omit the green chilies and salsa.
4. For non-vegetarians, you could substitute regular baked beans.