- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Onions Stuffed with Garlic and Chestnuts Recipe
|Spanish onions||4 Large|
|Bacon slices||4 , chopped|
|Garlic head||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Canned water chestnuts||8 Ounce, drained and chopped (1 Can)|
|Bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Apple cider||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 988 Calories from Fat 151
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.6%
Saturated Fat 9.5 g47.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 39.1 mg
Sodium 1296.3 mg54%
Total Carbohydrates 191 g63.7%
Dietary Fiber 25 g100%
Sugars 82.4 g
Protein 22 g44.6%
Vitamin A 8.2% Vitamin C 187.2%
Calcium 41.6% Iron 39.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Place the unpeeled onions in boiling water for about 5 minutes.
2) Remove from boiling water and allow to cool.
3) Snap off the tops, peel, and take out the inner stuff.
4) Chop the in-sides of onions and put aside.
5) In frying pan,fry the bacon until crisp.
6) Discard off the fat by draining, add butter and fry the bacon bits,chopped onion,chopped cloves of garlic quickly by turning frequently till just slight brown.
7) Now add the water chestnuts and bread crumbs and allow to brown for another 3 minutes.
8) Add salt and pepper to taste.
9) Stuff each onion with the mixture.
10) Then place in the casserole.
11) Scatter apple cider over and bake at 375 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes till done.
12) Serve hot.