- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Onions Monegasque Recipe
|White onions||40 Small, peeled but with root ends left on (About 1 Inch In Diameter)|
|Olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Madeira/Dry vermouth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Saffron||1 Pinch (A Large Pinch)|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Dark raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Calories 1169 Calories from Fat 491
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g85.7%
Saturated Fat 8.1 g40.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1525.3 mg63.6%
Total Carbohydrates 159 g52.9%
Dietary Fiber 25.5 g102.1%
Sugars 79.3 g
Protein 17 g33.5%
Vitamin A 6.1% Vitamin C 178%
Calcium 35.8% Iron 28.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Take a skillet, add oil, vinegar, wine and stir fry onion, bay leaves, thyme, basil, salt and pepper.
2) Pour water, cover, and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
3) Add a pinch of saffron, tomato paste, and let it cook until onions become tender.
4) Add raisins and cook until the sauce thickens.
5) Let it chill in refrigerator.
6) Take soup plates, garnish with chopped parsley, and serve the onions in the sauce.