- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Onion Soup With Shallot Toasts Recipe
|Chopped leeks||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Coarsely Chopped)|
|Low sodium chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), chopped|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Chopped shallots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Italian bread||6 Ounce|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1161 Calories from Fat 258
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26.4 mg
Sodium 1724.5 mg71.9%
Total Carbohydrates 192 g63.9%
Dietary Fiber 14.3 g57.2%
Sugars 28.9 g
Protein 46 g93%
Vitamin A 162.2% Vitamin C 114.3%
Calcium 78.8% Iron 99%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the solids from the soup to a food processor or blender and process until pureed. Return the puree to the pan, cover and set aside.
3. Preheat the broiler.
4. Meanwhile, melt the margarine in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and saute 1 to 2 minutes, or until they begin to brown.
5. Toast the bread slices under the broiler 1 minute on each side, or until golden; set aside.
6. Reheat the soup over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through.
7. Meanwhile, divide the shallots among the slices of toast, sprinkle them with Parmesan and broil for another minute, or until golden brown and fragrant. Divide the soup among 4 bowls, top with the toasts.