- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mom'S Onion Soup Recipe
|Onions||4 Large, halved and thinly sliced to make 1 1/2 pounds|
|Condensed beef consomme||21 Ounce (Two 10 1/2 Ounce Each Cans)|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|French bread slices||8 (1/2 Inch Thick)|
|Swiss cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded, divided|
|Parmesan cheese||1 1⁄4 Tablespoon, grated, divided|
Calories 644 Calories from Fat 227
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.7%
Saturated Fat 15.8 g78.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 66.7 mg
Sodium 1898.7 mg79.1%
Total Carbohydrates 78 g26%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.9%
Sugars 17.6 g
Protein 25 g50.3%
Vitamin A 14.5% Vitamin C 39.6%
Calcium 30.6% Iron 21.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large (3-quart or 8 cup) microwaveable casserole dish, combine butter and onions.
2. Cover the dish with its lid or with plastic wrap.
3. Place in the microwave and cook on HIGH for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and golden.
4. Pour in consommÃ©, hot water and wine. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and pepper.
5. Replace the lid and return to the microwave
6. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until the liquid begins to boil
7. Ladle the soup into 4 (15-oz.) ConsommÃ© cups or soup bowls.
8. Sprinkle Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese over the French bread slices.
9. Place 2 croutons on each casserole.
10. Place the soup bowls in the microwave oven, in a circle and heat on level 7 for about 4 minutes, just until cheese melts.
11. Serve the soup immediately.