- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Onion Soup Recipe
|Beef bouillon||1 Quart|
|Onions||3 Cup (48 tbs), sliced thin|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry vermouth/Cognac||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese/Other cheese of your choice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 383 Calories from Fat 185
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.4%
Saturated Fat 12.9 g64.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 57.7 mg
Sodium 1739.8 mg72.5%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g9%
Sugars 18.1 g
Protein 17 g33.8%
Vitamin A 9.8% Vitamin C 14.8%
Calcium 39.4% Iron 7.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a skillet, melt the butter over a medium flame.
2. Add onion, cover skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and lightly browned.
3. Stir the salt, sugar, flour and Vermouth into the onions until well blended.
4. Tip the onion mixture into a slow-cooking pot or crock pot.
5. Gradually add the bouillon to the pot, stirring until well blended.
6. Cover the pot with its lid.
7. Slowly simmer the soup on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
8. Ladle the hot soup into soup bowls or dishes.
9. Place a toast slice each, on the soup and sprinkle generously with cheese.