- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Onion Soup Recipe
|Beef bouillon||1 Quart|
|Onions||3 Cup (48 tbs), sliced thin|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry vermouth/Cognac||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Optional)|
Calories 248 Calories from Fat 107
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.6%
Saturated Fat 7.5 g37.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.2 mg
Sodium 1262.9 mg52.6%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g9.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g9%
Sugars 17.8 g
Protein 5 g9.8%
Vitamin A 7.1% Vitamin C 14.8%
Calcium 4.8% Iron 5.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a skillet, melt the butter over a medium flame.
2. Add onion, cover skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and lightly browned.
3. Stir the salt, sugar, flour and Vermouth into the onions until well blended.
4. Tip the onion mixture into a slow-cooking pot or crock pot.
5. Gradually add the bouillon to the pot, stirring until well blended.
6. Cover the pot with its lid.
7. Slowly simmer the soup on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
8. Ladle the hot soup into soup bowls or dishes.
9. Place a toast slice each, on the soup.