- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Onion Sauce Recipe
|Spanish onion||1 Large, chopped to make 2 cups|
|Corn oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Skim milk||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Chicken stock||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Sesame tahini||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Yogurt||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1 Dash|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 608 Calories from Fat 228
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.3%
Saturated Fat 5.9 g29.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 28.8 mg
Sodium 563.5 mg23.5%
Total Carbohydrates 71 g23.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.9 g31.6%
Sugars 35.9 g
Protein 27 g54.6%
Vitamin A 3.3% Vitamin C 45.6%
Calcium 56.5% Iron 14.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a medium heavy saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat
2. Add onion and saute it until it is limp.
3. Blend in the flour and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until the flour begins to froth.
4. Gradually pour in stock, stirring constantly to remove lumps and form a smooth sauce.
5. Cook over a low flame for 10 minutes, stirring, until sauce is thick and bubbly.
6. Take pan off the heat and let cool slightly.
7. In a liquidizer or food processor jar combine the remaining ingredients
8. Blend on a low speed until smooth.
9. Tip in the onion sauce and process with remaining ingredients until well blended.
10. Use the sauce in stews, to coat vegetables or in casseroles.