- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Moussaka Recipe Video
|Aubergine||2 Large, slice|
|Lamb mince||1 Pound|
|Onions||2 Medium, chop|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon piece||1 Small|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), chopped finely|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, chop|
|Tomatoes puree||2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine||60 Milliliter|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|For the sauce|
|Salt and pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Gruyere cheese||4 Ounce, grated|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Ounce, grated|
Calories 558 Calories from Fat 350
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.6%
Saturated Fat 18.3 g91.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 102.3 mg34.1%
Sodium 473.6 mg19.7%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g8.9%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.3%
Sugars 9.1 g
Protein 25 g49.6%
Vitamin A 22% Vitamin C 27%
Calcium 34.9% Iron 17.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Slice the aubergines and sprinkle salt over it and keep it aside for 30 minute. This will remove all the bitter juice from the aubergines.
2. In a sauce heat the olive oil and add garlic and onions. Saute till it becomes translucent. Once done, add the lamb mince and brown the meat well.
3. Empty in the canned tomatoes. Add oregano, tomato puree, cumin and cinnamon stick. Pour in the red wine and cook for an hour.
4. While the lamb is cooking make the sauce. In a small sauce pot melt butter and then add the flour and whisk it until the flour is cooked.
6. Add the salt and pepper and whisk well add the milk and finally the cheese.
7. Once the sauce is ready keep it aside and then washes the aubergines and pat them dry.
8. In a frying pans pour some olive oil and fry the sliced aubergines until cooked.
9. In a casserole dish line the slices of aubergines and then spoon the lamb mince mixture over it.
10. Continue layering till all aubergines are used.
11. Now pour the cheese sauce over the aubergines. The sauce will be quite thick so spread it evenly. Once done sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese.
12. Bake in a preheated oven at 190 degree C and cook the moussaka for 30-45 minute.
13. Let the moussaka rest for 15 minute and then serve warm. Cut into serving portions. Serve with a fresh green salad and mash or bread on the side.
Sprinkle salt on the sliced Aubergines so that it removes the bitter juice from it.