- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ada Pradhaman (Onam Special Payasam / Kheer) Recipe Video
|For the ada|
|Rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Soaked in water for 4 hours)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As needed)|
|For the pradhaman|
|Jaggery piece||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As per your taste)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thick coconut milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cardamom||3 Medium, crushed and seeds used|
|Ghee||2 Teaspoon (For toasting the nuts and dry fruits)|
|Dry fruits||To Taste|
Calories 416 Calories from Fat 107
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.4%
Saturated Fat 10.9 g54.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.7 mg
Sodium 43.7 mg1.8%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g25.1%
Dietary Fiber 0.56 g2.2%
Sugars 53.4 g
Protein 3 g5.2%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 0.13%
Calcium 3.4% Iron 4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Banana Leaves - Cut into small portions
1. Soak rice for about 4 hrs.
To prepare the ada:
2. After 4 hours, put into a blender and blend using very little water to form a thick paste.
3. Spread the prepared paste on a clean and dry banana leaf, as shown in the video, leaing enough space on the corners.
4. Roll carefully like a scroll and tie with a string.
5. Steam cook for about 10 - 12 minutes.
6. Once done, open each banana leaf scroll and let cool. Sprinkle a little water so that it does not stick.
7. Using a sharp knife start making horizontal and vertical lines on the sheet and remove carefully. Set all the prepared ada aside.
To prepare the pradhaman:
8. In a saucepan, bring the jaggery to a boil along with water.
9. Add 1 cup ada and coconut milk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
10. Finally, add the crushed cardamom and turn off the heat. Top with your favorite nuts and dry fruits toasted in ghee.
11. Serve as a dessert after a traditional Kerala meal or as a snack.
The traditional recipe calls only for coconut milk but one can use part milk and part coconut milk or any proportion to their liking and taste .
The ada will be sticky due to starch content, dip your fingers in oil before handling the banan leaf to make it easy to work with.