- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Old-Fashioned Chili Sauce Recipe
|Mustard seed||1 Tablespoon|
|Celery seed||1 Tablespoon|
|Cider vinegar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Boiling water||500 Milliliter|
|Ripe red tomatoes||8 Pound|
|Green peppers||1 Pound|
|Sweet red peppers||1 Pound|
|Celery||3 Cup (48 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Onion||3 Cup (48 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Granulated sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), firmly packed|
|Cinnamon sticks||2 (3 Inch)|
|Hot pepper||2 , crushed|
|Whole cloves||2 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3733 Calories from Fat 158
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.9%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 12245.3 mg510.2%
Total Carbohydrates 873 g290.9%
Dietary Fiber 81.9 g327.7%
Sugars 756.9 g
Protein 55 g110.5%
Vitamin A 965.9% Vitamin C 2427.5%
Calcium 116% Iron 141.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Pour boiling water over tomatoes to cover let it stand several minutes, peel remove stems and chop tomatoes to measure about 3 quarts.
2. Wash drain peppers well, halve remove seeds and ribs and chop coarsely.
3. In a 12-quart kettle, combine chopped tomato, pepper, celery and onion with both kinds of sugar and the salt.
4. With long-handled wooden spoon stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
5. Bring to boiling and boil, uncovered for about 45 minutes.
6. Tie spices in a bag several thicknesses of cheese- cloth or muslin and add to vegetable mixture.
7. Boil uncovered and stirring occasionally for 30 minutes longer.
8. Add vinegar and boil 1 hour longer until of desired consistency.
9. Sterilize six 1-pint jars and leave in hot water until ready to fill.
10. Remove and discard spice bag.
11. Completing one jar at a time, ladle hot chili sauce into jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
12. Cap at once as manufacturer directs.
13. Use as side or use in other dishes as desired.