- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Old World Easter Bread Recipe
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Very Warm)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Candied orange peel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Golden raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||2 Tablespoon|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (10X Sugar)|
|Yellow food coloring||6 Drop|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2182 Calories from Fat 514
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89.9%
Saturated Fat 33.1 g165.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 340 mg
Sodium 1316.3 mg54.8%
Total Carbohydrates 372 g124.1%
Dietary Fiber 15.8 g63.4%
Sugars 139.6 g
Protein 47 g93.2%
Vitamin A 36.7% Vitamin C 59.8%
Calcium 29.5% Iron 97.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sprinkle yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar into very warm water in medium-size bowl. ("Very warm" water should' feel comfortably warm when dropped! on wrist.) Stir until yeast dissolves; allow to stand until mixture bubbles, about 10 minutes; then stir in cooled milk mixture and egg.
3. Beat in 1 cup of the flour until smooth with a large wooden spoon stir in orange peel, raisins and: nutmeg; beat in remaining 1 cup flour to make a soft dough. Beat 100 times with either a wooden spoon or dough hook of electric mixer.
4. Coat top of dough lightly with butter or margarine, cover with clean towel. Let rise in warm place, away from draft, 1 hour, or until doubled.
5. Brush a 6-cup tall mold or 6-cup deep bowl with oil; sprinkle with breM crumbs. Punch dough down; beat 100 times with either a wooden spoon or dough hook of electric mixer. Spoon into mold.
6. Cover with clean towel; let rise in wanin place, away from draft, 45 minutes, or until double in bulk.
7. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 40 minutes, or until loaf gives a hollow sound when tapped. Cool 5 minutes on wire rack; remove from mold.
8. Mix 10X sugar and water in a cup to make a thin frosting; drizzle half over loaf, letting it run down side. Blend; a drop or two of yellow food coloring into remaining frosting to tint yellow; drizzle over. Decorate top with a few slivered almonds.