- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Old World Borsch Salad Recipe
|Potatoes||1 Pound, drained|
|Instant beef broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned beets||1 Pound, drained|
|French dressing||2 Tablespoon|
|Shredded cabbage||1 Pound|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced (1 Can)|
|Onion||1 Small, diced (1 Can)|
|Dairy sour cream||8 Ounce|
|Corned beef||1⁄2 Pound, cut into thin strips (1 Can)|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 482 Calories from Fat 189
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g33%
Saturated Fat 9.2 g46.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 57 mg
Sodium 1071.8 mg44.7%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g20.8%
Dietary Fiber 14.8 g59.4%
Sugars 27.6 g
Protein 19 g37.3%
Vitamin A 505.4% Vitamin C 232.2%
Calcium 28% Iron 33.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a small saucepan cover potatoes with beef broth or bouillon cube in water and heat to boil. Remove from heat and cool in broth while mixing rest of salad.
2. In a small bowl, season beets with French dressing and chill.
3. In another large bowl mix cabbage, celery, onion, sugar, salt and pepper and chill for about 30 minutes.
4. Drain cabbage and potatoes and fold 1/4 cup of the sour cream into cabbage.
5. In a lettuce-lined large bowl arrange with potatoes, beets and corned beef in separate mounds.
6. Into a lettuce cup spoon remaining sour cream, sprinkle with caraway seeds and set in center.