- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Old Fashioned Sponge Cake Recipe
|Sifted cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 415 Calories from Fat 69
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g11.9%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 317.2 mg
Sodium 446.6 mg18.6%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g25.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.67 g2.7%
Sugars 50.7 g
Protein 12 g24%
Vitamin A 7.3% Vitamin C 2.7%
Calcium 13.8% Iron 21.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with electric mixer at high speed, until foamy white and double in volume. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup of the sugar, until meringue stands in soft peaks.
3. Beat egg yolks in small bowl with electric mixer at high speed, until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar until mixture is very thick and fluffy. Beat in lemon rind.
4. Fold flour mixture, one third at a time, into egg yolk mixture with rubber scraper until completely blended.
5. Fold flour-egg yolk mixture into meringue until no streaks of yellow or white remain. Pour into ungreased 9-inch angel cake tube pan.
6. Bake in a slow oven (325°) 1 hour, or until top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
7. Invert pan, placing tube over a funnel or quart-size soft-drink bottle; let cake cool completely. Loosen cake around the tube, and down the side with a spatula. Remove from pan. Sift 10X sugar over top, if you wish, and serve with fruit.