- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Old Fashioned Eggplant Souffle Recipe
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|Egg yolks||3 , beaten|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Finely crushed crackers||1 Cup (16 tbs) (20 Crackers)|
|Shredded cheddar cheese||4 Ounce (1 Cup)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Snipped chives||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground red pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), halved|
Calories 269 Calories from Fat 163
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28.2%
Saturated Fat 10.3 g51.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 136.7 mg
Sodium 463.6 mg19.3%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.6%
Dietary Fiber 3 g11.9%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 10 g19.5%
Vitamin A 19% Vitamin C 8.2%
Calcium 20.5% Iron 3.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 300°.
2. Wash eggplant thoroughly and grease with shortening.
3. Take a shallow baking dish and transfer greased eggplants into it and bake for 35 minutes or till tender.
4. Take a large bowl and transfer eggplant pulp into, after peeling eggplant.
5. Mash thoroughly using an electric mixer or potato masher.
6. Add Worcestershire sauce, egg yolks and melted butter.
7. Stir in cheese, chives, cracker crumbs, milk, dry mustard, red pepper and salt and mix thoroughly.
8. Raise oven temperature by 50°.
9. Take a bowl and beat egg whites using an electric mixer till rigid peaks are formed.
10. Add to the eggplant mixture.
11. Take a 1 1/2-quart shallow casserole, grease it, rub the sides using halved garlic cloves and transfer the eggplant-egg mixture into casserole.
12. In the 350° preheated oven, keep the casserole and bake the mixture for 40 minutes or till the mixture is set and turns puffy.
13. Serve immediately.