- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Old Fashioned Beef Vegetable Recipe
|Low sodium bacon||1 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
|Lean beef stew meat||8 Ounce, cut into thin strips|
|Onion||1 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Carrots||2 Large, cubed|
|Parsnips||8 Ounce, diced|
|All purpose potatoes||8 Ounce, peeled and diced|
|Tomato paste||2 Teaspoon|
|Beef stock||2 Quart|
|Dried sage||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 289 Calories from Fat 43
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23.8 mg7.9%
Sodium 1070.6 mg44.6%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13%
Dietary Fiber 7.1 g28.3%
Sugars 11.1 g
Protein 25 g50.3%
Vitamin A 122.9% Vitamin C 50.3%
Calcium 13.7% Iron 21.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a saucepan, add the bacon.
2. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Stop cooking when the bacon is crisp and the fat comes out.
4. Take the bacon out of the pan and discard it.
5. In the same pan with the bacon fat, add beef, onion, and garlic.
6. Saute the mixture until it browns.
7. Stir in the carrots, parsnips, and potatoes, and cook for about 7 minutes.
8. Stir in tomato paste, stock, and herbs.
9. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes, until the beef and vegetables are tender and the broth is rich.
10. Using a slotted spoon, take the bay leaf out of the stew and discard it.
11. Season the stew with salt and pepper.
12. Serve hot with bread.