- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Okra Salad Recipe
|Fresh okra||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Yellow cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomato||1 , chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Calories 171 Calories from Fat 20
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.3%
Saturated Fat 0.44 g2.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2.3 mg
Sodium 224.7 mg9.4%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.4%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.4%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 5 g11%
Vitamin A 11.9% Vitamin C 48.5%
Calcium 10.3% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Wash okra thoroughly in cold water and drain onto paper towels and pat dry.
2) Snap or cut off tip and stem ends, then cut okra crosswise into 1/2-inch slices.
3) Sift together cornmeal, flour and salt and keep the cornmeal mixture aside.
4) In a heavy skillet,fry bacon until crisp and drain onto on paper towels to remove excess fat.
5) Make small fragments of the fried bacon by crumbling and put aside.
6) In the skillet, retain the pan drippings.
7) Now roll okra in the above cornmeal mixture.
8) Fry okra in retained bacon drippings by turning frequently until golden brown.
9) Drain on paper towels to remove excess fat.
10) In a large salad bowl, mix together okra, tomato and onion.
11) Add salt, pepper and reserved crumbled bacon.
12) Toss the mixture gently to combine.
13) and serve.