- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pear and Hazelnut Tart Recipe Video
|For tart crust|
|Hazelnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon, cold and cut into small pieces|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cold|
|Sour cream||3 Tablespoon, cold|
|Ice water||1 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into pieces|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||1 Large|
|Heavy whipping cream||1 Tablespoon|
|Hazelnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely grounded|
|All-purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Bosc pear/Bartlett pear||3|
|Brandy||2 Tablespoon (B&B or Cognac)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Flour||4 Tablespoon, divided (For dusting)|
Calories 515 Calories from Fat 311
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g54.9%
Saturated Fat 15.2 g76.1%
Trans Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 103.4 mg
Sodium 139.8 mg5.8%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.3%
Sugars 23 g
Protein 6 g11.6%
Vitamin A 13.9% Vitamin C 5.4%
Calcium 4.2% Iron 10.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedTart Pan with Removable Bottom
1. Toast 1 cup hazelnuts in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
2. Rub skins off while warm (not all skin will come completely off).
3. In a food processor grind hazelnuts finely with metal blade.
4. Combine 1/4 cup nuts, flour, salt and sugar in food processor fitted with metal blade.
5. Add in the butter and shortening and pulse into course meal.
6. Add in the sour cream and ice water until a ball of dough begins to form.
7. Turn out dough onto a flour dusted surface and mold into a 1 inch thick disk.
8. Wrap disk in plastic and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 minutes or overnight.
9. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
10. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out evenly in a circle, large enough to cover the bottom and edges of tart pan. Roll the dough around the rolling pin and lift it over the tart pan.
11. Press dough into place in the tart pan and adjust any overhang or tears in the dough. Dough should be lightly pressed into the edges of the tart pan.
12. Freeze tart shell in pan for 20 minutes.
13. When ready to bake, line tart shell with foil and fill with dried beans, rice or pie weights.
14. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove weights and foil and bake for another 5 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
15. Cool crust on baking rack and reduce oven temp to 400 degrees.
16. For the filling – In food processor fitted with a metal blade, cream butter and sugar, stop and scrape down as needed.
17. Add in the eggs, heavy cream, and continue to blend thoroughly.
18. Scatter hazelnuts and flour over the butter mixture and process until blended.
19. Refrigerate mixture while preparing the pears.
20. Halve and core the pears, then cut length-wise in 1/9 inch slices, leaving skins on.
21. Spread the filling evenly over bottom of tart.
22. Arrange pears over the filling, starting from the outside edge, overlapping pears around and up into the middle in concentric circles.
23. Brush pears with Brandy. Sprinkle sugar over the top.
24. Bake in center of oven for 45 minutes, or until pastry is brown and pears are caramelized.
25. Cool on baking rack and slip tart pan rim off, leaving bottom of pan to hold tart in place.
26. Set tart on round serving plate and cut into wedges.
29. Serve Pear Tart with whipped cream in a plate.