- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Nutty Caramels Recipe
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Whipping cream||2 Cup (32 tbs), divided|
|Light corn syrup||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Pecans||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), finely chopped|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7291 Calories from Fat 3819
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 437 g672.9%
Saturated Fat 204.8 g1023.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1025.7 mg341.9%
Sodium 468.7 mg19.5%
Total Carbohydrates 847 g282.4%
Dietary Fiber 18.7 g74.9%
Sugars 571.5 g
Protein 19 g38.6%
Vitamin A 86.5% Vitamin C 3.6%
Calcium 51.3% Iron 27.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. In a pan combine sugar, 1 cup whipping cream, corn syrup and butter and cook with constant stirring over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.
3. On sides of pan using a pastry brush dipped in hot water, wash down any sugar crystals.
4. To the pan attach a candy thermometer, making sure thermometer does not touch bottom of pan and bring to a boil continuing to stir increasing heat to medium.
5. Gradually add remaining 1 cup whipping cream.
6. With frequent stirring without touching sides of pan, cook until syrup reaches firm-ball stage (approximately 242 to 248 degrees).
7. in a bowl of ice water test about 1/2 teaspoon syrup such that it rolls into a firm ball in ice water but will flatten if pressed when removed from the water.
8. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and vanilla and immediately pour into a buttered 10 1/2 x 15 1/2-inch jellyroll pan.
9. Let it cool at room temperature several hours and then cut into 1-inch squares using a lightly oiled heavy knife.
10. Wrap each candy piece in a foil candy wrapper and store in a cool place.
11. Serve as a snack with beverage or as desired.