- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Nut Paella Recipe
|Saffron strands||3 (few)|
|Brown rice||8 Ounce|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce (1 can)|
|Sunflower oil||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 , cored, seeded and cut into strips|
|Red pepper||1⁄2 , cored, seeded and cut into strips|
|Onion||1 , peeled and finely chopped|
|Pine kernels||2 Ounce, lightly roasted|
|Cashew nuts||2 Ounce, lightly roasted|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon (Holbrook's)|
|Dried basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered bay leaf||1 Pinch|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
Calories 455 Calories from Fat 164
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 227 mg9.5%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g20.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.7%
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 11 g22.3%
Vitamin A 26.7% Vitamin C 79.5%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 23.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a very large bowl, add 1/2 pint boiling water and soak the saffron strands in it. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2) To the bowl, add the rice along with an additional 1 1/2 pint boiling water.
3) Now, stir in the tomatoes and their juice.
4) On high power, cook for 35 to 45 minutes, until the rice is cooked well and the water is almost absorbed. Stir as required in between. Note that the tomatoes will rise to the top of the rice, once cooked.
5) In a medium sized bowl, combine the oil, peppers and onion.
6) On high power, cook covered for 5 minutes or until soft.
7) To this, add the sauteed vegetables, nuts, sauce, basil, and bay leaf powder and season to taste. Mix gently, without breaking up the rice.
8) Cover, leaving a small gap and on high power, cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
9) Stir the Nut Paella before serving and serve immediately along with a green salad.