- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Nova Scotia Black Fruit Cake Recipe
|Candied citron||4 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
|Candied lemon peel||2 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
|Candied orange peel||2 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
|Candied cherries||1⁄2 Pound, halved|
|Candied pineapple||1 Pound, shredded|
|Golden raisins||1 Pound|
|Seeded raisins||1⁄2 Pound|
|Dark rum||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Cognac Or Sherry)|
|Almonds||4 Ounce, blanched and shredded|
|Walnuts/Pecans||4 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), packed|
Calories 1221 Calories from Fat 290
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g48.8%
Saturated Fat 9.8 g49.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 162.6 mg
Sodium 146.1 mg6.1%
Total Carbohydrates 227 g75.6%
Dietary Fiber 9.2 g36.7%
Sugars 164.3 g
Protein 16 g31.5%
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 45.5%
Calcium 17.5% Iron 27.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Preheat the oven to slow (275° F.). Grease one 10-inch tube pan or two 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pans. Line with waxed paper and grease the paper.
3. Combine the fruits, the nuts and one-half cup flour.
4. Sift together the remaining flour, mace, cinnamon and baking powder. Mix the milk with the almond extract.
5. Cream the butter until smooth, adding sugars gradually. Add the eggs, mix well and add the milk mixture. Add flour mixture; mix well.
6. Pour the batter over the fruits and nuts and mix thoroughly. Fill the pans and press batter down firmly.
7. Bake tube cake about four hours, loaves about three hours. Let cakes stand thirty minutes. Turn out onto a rack and peel off the paper.
8. Wrap cooled cakes in cheesecloth soaked in rum, cognac or sherry. Place in a crock or deep kettle and cover tightly. As the cloth dries, dribble a little of the same liquor over it. Let ripen one month before frosting with a layer of each of the two frostings. When dry, spread the milk frosting evenly with confectioners' icing