- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Normandy Roast Duckling Recipe
|Oven ready duckling||4 Pound (2 Kilogram)|
|Dry cider||1 Small|
|Double cream||1⁄8 Pint (1 Small Carton, 75 Milliliter)|
|For the stuffing:|
|Butter||3 Ounce (75 Grams)|
|White breadcrumbs||4 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Cooking apples||1 Pound, peeled, cored and chopped (450 Grams)|
|Castor sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Pinch|
Calories 653 Calories from Fat 337
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g57.8%
Saturated Fat 12.2 g61%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 331.3 mg
Sodium 338.3 mg14.1%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.7%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g7%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 57 g114%
Vitamin A 5.9% Vitamin C 14.9%
Calcium 4.6% Iron 44.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wipe the duckling with a kitchen towel or paper toweling.
2. Rub salt into the skin.
3. With a fork, prick the skin all over to render fat. Keep aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 350Â°F (180Â°C or Gas No. 4)
5. To prepare the stuffing, in a large frying pan, melt the butter over moderate heat.
6. Add the breadcrumbs and sautÃ© until the crumbs are evenly golden brown.
7. Add chopped apples to the pan and cook covered until soft for about 15 minutes.
8. Season with salt, pepper, sugar and cinnamon.
9. Spoon the stuffing into the cavity of the duckling.
10. Seal the open tail-end with a skewer or stitch with trussing needle and thread.
11. Place duckling in roasting pan
12. Add 2 tablespoons water to create steam when roasting.
13. Place on middle level of preheated oven.
14. Roast the duckling, allowing 20 minutes per lb.
15. 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the duckling from the oven.
16. Drain off rendered fat from the pan.
17. Pour the cider over the duckling.
18. Return to the oven and roast for remaining time, basting frequently with the juices.
19. Transfer the roasted duckling from the pan onto a carving board and let rest before carving.
20. To prepare gravy, reduce the pan juices to half by simmering on a medium high flame.
21. Stir the cream into the gravy and heat to a simmer without boiling.
22. Take off the heat and stir in brandy if using.
23. Carve the duckling into four portions and arrange in a serving dish.
24. Spoon the stuffing from the duckling into a small serving bowl
25. Serve with the stuffing on the side.