- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
No Crust Blueberry Chiffon Pie Recipe
|Fresh blueberries||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), divided|
|Honey||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1⁄2 Tablespoon (1/2 Envelopes)|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), freshly squeezed|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon, freshly squeezed|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For delicious diet cream:|
|Evaporated skim milk||20 Ounce, chilled (1 Can)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 225 Calories from Fat 2
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.26 g0.41%
Saturated Fat 0.02 g0.12%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium 154 mg6.4%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.3%
Sugars 44.1 g
Protein 9 g19%
Vitamin A 8.2% Vitamin C 28.1%
Calcium 27.6% Iron 2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large saucepan, combine 2 1/4 cups of the blueberries, honey and water.
2. Lightly bruise the berries with the back of spoon to expel juices.
3. Cook the berries over medium-low heat, stirring often, until they are soft about 8 to 10 minutes. The mixture will be purple in color.
4. At the same time, in a small saucepan, add gelatin to orange juice and let soften for 5 minutes.
5. When the blueberries are cooked, dissolve the gelatin in the juice by heating on a medium low flame, stirring constantly.
6. Stir lemon juice into the gelatin liquid.
7. Add the hot gelatin mixture to the blueberries and stir well to blend.
8. Place the pan in the refrigerator to chill the sauce, stirring from time to time, until the mixture is thick and viscous but not set.
9. In a medium-size dry bowl add the egg whites. Using an electric beater, whip them until they are foamy.
10. Add cream of tartar and vanilla to the eggs and continue beating until it is stiff and stand in peaks.
11. Add stiff whites to thick blueberry mixture and fold in gently using the cut and fold technique using a spatula.
12. Spoon the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate.
13. Refrigerate until set.
14. Make the Diet whipped cream by beating evaporated skim milk in a large, chilled bowl. Add honey and vanilla and beat to the consistency of whipped cream.
15. Top the pie with the diet cream and decorate it with the remaining blueberries.