- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Nimbu Achar (Lemon Pickle) - Traditional and Sweet Recipe Video
|For pickling the lime|
|Lemon/Lime||4 Medium, cubed (fresh ripe lemons used, washed and cleaned)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the sugar syrup|
|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs) (For 2 cups of cubed lime pieces)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As required to just about cover the sugar)|
|Spices for 2 cups of pickled lime|
|Red chili powder||4 Teaspoon (Use as per your taste and preference)|
Calories 226 Calories from Fat 26
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.5%
Saturated Fat 0.37 g1.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 976.5 mg40.7%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.6%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g5.8%
Sugars 50 g
Protein 0.59 g1.2%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C 26.8%
Calcium 1.3% Iron 1.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. A large air tight container
1. Take fresh ripe lemons, wash and rinse them well.
2. Cut each of them into halves and then again cut them further into cubes of equal sizes. (You can discard the seeds)
3. In a bowl, put the cubed pieces of lime/lemon, add salt and turmeric powder. Toss to combine the ingredients very well with the lemon cubes.
4. Store the lemon cubes in an air tight glass or plastic jar for about 30 days. Shake it every 2 to 3 days well.
5. After around 30 days of storage and pickling of the lime cubes, take them out and check for the tenderness.
6. Once tender, prepare the sugar syrup. In a saucepan, take 3 cups of sugar (for 2 cups of pickled lime), add water just enough to cover the sugar.
7. Boil the sugar syrup on high heat, stir occasionally.
8. Reduce the heat to a low temperature and cook for about 7 to 8 minutes till it becomes thick.
9. Once thick, bring the temperature to a medium heat and add the pickled lime and cook for about 30 to 60 seconds. Turn of the heat and let it cool to thicken.
10. Add oil, red chili powder, asafoetida (hing) and mix well. Store in an airtight container for a couple of days until the color changes and the consistency turns thicker.
11. Serve the sweet and sour lemon as a condiment with your Indian dishes.
For 1/2 pound of lime/lemon, add 100 grams of salt and turmeric powder as per your preference.
You need to use 1 and 1/2 times more sugar than the quantity of lime used; say for 1 cup of lime, add 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
An alternate option of preparing the pickle without adding sugar syrup is to mix the sugar, oil and the spices in a bowl and then adding to the pickled lime. Mix well and let it rest till the sugar forms a syrup of itself naturally.
In the video the chef demonstrates pickling of 4 lemons ( about 2 cups of cubed lemon pieces) and then demonstrates preparing the sugar syrup for only 1 cup of pickled lemon. Ingredient list given for 2 cups of pickled lemon.