- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rich New England Clam Chowder Recipe
|Quahog clams/2 7 1/2-ounce cans clams or 1 pint shucked clams||2 Dozen|
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Diced peeled potatoes||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Light cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3274 Calories from Fat 1654
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 185 g285.2%
Saturated Fat 88.7 g443.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 572.3 mg
Sodium 4313.7 mg179.7%
Total Carbohydrates 277 g92.3%
Dietary Fiber 25.2 g100.6%
Sugars 27.6 g
Protein 115 g229.8%
Vitamin A 86.7% Vitamin C 116.3%
Calcium 93% Iron 452.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Place clams in a large kettle; add 1-cup water.
2. Cover and bring to boiling.
3. Reduce heat; steam just until shells open, 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Remove clams from shell. Dice clams; strain liquid, reserving 16 cup.
5. Fry salt pork until crisp.
6. Remove bits of pork; reserve.
7. Add 16-cup clam liquid, 11/2 cups water, potatoes, and onion to fat.
8. Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Add clams 13/4 cups milk, and cream.
10. Blend remaining milk and flour; stir in to chowder.
11. Cook and stir until boiling.
12. Add salt and dash pepper; top with salt pork.