- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
New York Chowder Recipe
|Clams/24 fresh clams||2 Can (20 oz)|
|Salt pork slice||2|
|Leek||1 , sliced|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced|
|Potatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs), diced|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Thyme||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 434 Calories from Fat 103
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.6%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 58.1 mg
Sodium 870.3 mg36.3%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.4%
Dietary Fiber 9 g35.9%
Sugars 10.8 g
Protein 26 g51.7%
Vitamin A 104.8% Vitamin C 167.6%
Calcium 19.2% Iron 139.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Clean the fresh clams with the aid of a brush.
2) Retain the juice of the canned clams after draining them. Keep it aside.
3) Take a saucepan and place the clams in it just covering them with water.
4) Simmer the contents of the covered saucepan for 10 to 15 minutes after bringing it to a boil.
5) Retain the juice of the clams after de-shelling them.
6) In another pan, melt the small pieces of salt pork cut into ¼ inch squares.
7) Brown the onion, garlic and leek for about 5 minutes.
8) Add 6 cups of water along with green pepper, celery, potatoes, carrots and clams.
9) Cover the pan and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes after bringing it to a boil.
10) Add the juice of the clams together tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, cloves, sugar, salt and pepper.
11) Simmer for another 20 minutes.
12) Serve immediately.