- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Neapolitan Cookies Recipe
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unsweetened baking chocolate||1 Ounce, melted (1 Square)|
|Finely chopped walnuts/Pecans||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Finely chopped candied cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red food coloring||2 Drop (Use Liquid Variety)|
|Flaked coconut||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Rum extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 179 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.9%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 70.3 mg2.9%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.8%
Dietary Fiber 0.84 g3.4%
Sugars 9.3 g
Protein 2 g4.3%
Vitamin A 4.9% Vitamin C 0.06%
Calcium 3.1% Iron 5.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Line an 8 inch square pan with plastic wrap such that it extends over the edges. Set aside
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F before baking is required.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until soft.
4. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and creamy.
5. Gradually add egg and the vanilla, beating until well blended into the creamed mixture.
6. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
7. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in batches, beating at low speed to make dough.
8. Turn out on a flour dusted surface and divide into 3 portions.
9. Into one portion, knead chocolate and walnuts then press to line bottom of prepared pan.
10. Into the second portion knead chopped cherries and red food coloring and press over first layer in pan.
11. Into the last portion knead coconut and rum extract and press over cherries dough.
12. Cover pan with extra wrap/foil at the edges and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight until well chilled.
13. Invert loaf pan onto a cutting board. Carefully peel off and discard plastic wrap/ foil.
14. Cut dough into 5 equal strinps.
15. Cut each strip of dough crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
16. Arrange slices on cookie sheets keeping 2 inch space between each
17. Bake in a preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
18. Remove from oven and cool slightly on baking sheets then slide onto wire racks to cool completely.
19. Serve the cookies with tea or coffee or wrap and include in your gift hamper.
Freeze dough in pan for up to 1 month, if desired.