- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Nazook (Walnut Rolled Sweet) Pastry Recipe Video
|Plain yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 Medium, divided (1-dough; 1- egg wash)|
|All purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Powdered sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon, grated|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 654 Calories from Fat 280
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.3%
Saturated Fat 6 g30.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 48.2 mg16.1%
Sodium 64.2 mg2.7%
Total Carbohydrates 83 g27.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.3%
Sugars 33.7 g
Protein 10 g19.9%
Vitamin A 3.2% Vitamin C 0.47%
Calcium 9.2% Iron 19.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. DOUGH: In a bowl, add yogurt, vegetable oil, yeast, baking powder and sugar. Using a spatula mix them well till everything combines.
2. In another bowl, break one egg and beat it till frothy. Pour it into the yogurt mixture and mix well.
3. Slowly add the flour in batches and fold it into the yogurt mixture and mix well till combined. Finally knead it into soft dough. Set aside.
4. Sprinkle flour on a baking sheet. Set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
6. FILLING: In a pan, put vegetable oil and butter. Heat it till the butter melts. Remove it from heat. Add cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, nutmeg and powdered sugar. Stir to mix them well with the oil-butter mix.
7. Put the chopped walnuts and mix well till all are coated. Add the flour and continue mixing till it becomes doughy and thick without lumps.
8. On a working flat surface, sprinkle some flour. Put the prepared dough and spread it into a thick circle. Divide the circle into half.
9. Take one portion and roll it into a thin sheet and spread the walnut filling on it evenly.
10. Roll it tightly. Press the roll gently to flatten it a little. Using a pizza cutter or serrated cutter cut the roll into equal portions. Place them carefully on the prepared baking sheet.
11. EGG WASH: In a small bowl, beat an egg lightly.
12. Brush the egg wash over the pastries generously.
13. Bake it for 35 minutes or till golden brown in color. Remove from oven and allow to sit for a few minutes.
14. In a serving plate, arrange the sweet pastries and serve as dessert or a sweet snack with any beverage of choice.