- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Korean Food: Napa Cabbage Kimchi (배추 김치) Recipe Video
|Napa cabbage head||1 Large|
|Korean radish||2 Cup (32 tbs), cut into thin 2-inch strips|
|Garlic chives||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces|
|Green onions||5 , cut into 2-inch strips|
|Onion||1 , thinly sliced|
|Hot pepper||2 , cut into small pieces|
|Water||10 Cup (160 tbs) (For soaking the cabbage)|
|Coarse sea salt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Soaked in brine and brine discarded)|
|Coarse sea salt||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (For Sprinkling)|
|For mixing rice flour|
|Sweet rice flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Water||3 Tablespoon (For mixing with the sweet rice flour)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sweet apple||1⁄4 , cut into pieces|
|Onion||1⁄4 , cut into pieces|
|Red pepper powder||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Fish sauce||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Minced ginger||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||3 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 178 Calories from Fat 44
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.7%
Saturated Fat 0.62 g3.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 5929.5 mg247.1%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.5%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g38%
Sugars 8.9 g
Protein 8 g15.2%
Vitamin A 21.3% Vitamin C 108.8%
Calcium 12.3% Iron 9.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Divide one large Napa cabbage into 4 pieces. In a huge bowl combine 10 cups of water and sea salt to make salt water. Stir until the salt is dissolved. Put the 4 pieces of the cabbage into the bowl and wash it with the salt water.
2. Take 2/3 cup of sea salt and divide it evenly among the 4 pieces of cabbage and sprinkle it inside each leaf (putting more salt on the thicker part of the leaf than the thinner parts).
3. Soak the cabbages in the salt water for about 4 or 5 hours until the cabbage leaves become soft.
4. After 4 to 5 hours rinse the salted cabbage twice in water. Drain and keep the cabbage for about 2 hours till all the water drains out. Then excess water can be squeezed out from each piece of cabbage.
5. In a bowl mix the sweet rice flour with water.
6. Take a pan and add 2 cups of water and add the the sweet flour mixture to it. Bring it to a boil on medium heat and keep stirring it to avoid it from sticking to the bottom.
7. Grind the 1/4 onion and 1/4 sweet apple together.
8. Take a large bowl, add the rice flour mixture, red pepper powder and the radish. Combine well. Then add the fish sauce, ginger, garlic, sugar, the prepared onion and apple mixture, sesame seeds, garlic chives, green onions, onions and the hot peppers. And add salt. Mix all of these well.
9. Spread the mixture a little by little in each of the cabbage leaves making sure the entire cabbage is covered well with the seasoning sauce.
10. Keep the kimchi at room temperature for about a day and then refrigerate it.
11. The kimchi is used as a main ingredient in many Korean dishes like stew, soup and fried rice. Kimchi can be eaten before its fermented, but it tastes best after its fermented.
The time the kimchi would take to ferment depends upon the temperature of the refrigerator.