- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mussels Marinara Recipe
|Mussels||5 1⁄2 Pound|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced (Large Cloves)|
|Canned crushed italian tomatoes||28 Ounce (Plum Tomatoes, 1 Can)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Preferably Italian, Plus Some For Garnish)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (To Taste)|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|White wine||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
Calories 747 Calories from Fat 225
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.9%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 182.7 mg
Sodium 2295.8 mg95.7%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.4%
Dietary Fiber 5 g19.9%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 78 g156.5%
Vitamin A 55.6% Vitamin C 125.3%
Calcium 26.9% Iron 156.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Scrub the mussels and clean them of the ‘beard’ and the sand.
2. Soak them if needed to make them grit-free.
3. In a large saucepan or pot which has a lid, add the olive oil and butter.
4. Melt the butter in the oil.
5. Add onion and garlic to the butter.
6. Saute till the vegetables are lightly coloured.
7. Now add the tomatoes, parsley, Tabasco, salt, and oregano.
8. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
9. Add the white wine and the mussels to this and cover tightly.
10. Increase the heat and cook over for 8 to 10 minutes, until all the mussels open.
11. Shake the pot vigourously once in a while to re-distribute the mussels.
12. Remove and discard any mussels that have not opened.
13. Adjust the seasoning.
14. Divide the mussels among heated deep soup bowls.
15. Pour the broth
16. Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and with crusty bread on the side.