- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mussels in Tomato Sauce Recipe Video
|Unsalted butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, slice|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), mince|
|Fennel seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaves||2 Medium|
|Dark large beer||1 Bottle (1 l)|
|Chunky tomato||1 Can (10 oz), undrained (Hunt's sweet onion chunky tomatoes)|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Kosher salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mussels||2 1⁄2 Kilogram, washed and debearded|
Calories 848 Calories from Fat 274
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.4%
Saturated Fat 10.7 g53.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 207.2 mg
Sodium 2124.9 mg88.5%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.5%
Sugars 0.1 g
Protein 78 g156.2%
Vitamin A 38.2% Vitamin C 99%
Calcium 25.4% Iron 149.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Heat a Dutch oven or large pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and canola oil in it.
2. Throw yellow onion, garlic, fennel seeds and bay leaves in. Stir and cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
3. Pour in beer and empty in sweet onion chunky tomatoes. Stir.
4. Add ground black pepper and salt to it. Stir well and cook uncovered for about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add mussels to the pan, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 6-10 minutes, or until mussels' shell open.
6. Using a slotted spoon, remove mussels from pan and keep them on a plate, leaving the liquid in pan. Discard mussels that have not opened.
7. Now, remove the cover, increase the heat and cook until the liquid is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
8. Pour the sauce over mussels.
9. Serve mussels in tomato sauce immediately with crusty bread.