- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mussel Salad Recipe
|Fresh mussels||5 Dozen|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Shallots/1 small onion||2 , thinly sliced or chopped|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Lettuce head||1 , shredded|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
Calories 394 Calories from Fat 183
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g31.7%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 67.2 mg
Sodium 822.3 mg34.3%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.2%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 31 g61.4%
Vitamin A 189.9% Vitamin C 87%
Calcium 12.2% Iron 62.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Remove mussels with broken shells or the ones that do not close when tapped.
2) Wash mussels under cold running water.
3) Scrub the mussel and pull away beard.
4) Using a sharp knife scrape off any barnacles.
5) Wash under running water until mussels are thoroughly cleaned.
6) Drain mussels and keep aside.
7) In a large saucepan heat oil. Sauté shallots or onion, sauté for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
8) Add wine, salt, pepper, and mussels.
9) Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
10) Cook for 5 minutes, shaking pan occasionally until mussels open.
11) Remove the ones that do not open. Reserve the liquid.
12) Take out cooked mussels from shells.
13) Boil cooking liquid until reduced to 1/4 cup and cool.
14) In a serving dish or individual dishes, place shredded lettuce.
15) Place cooled mussels on lettuce.
16) Add olive oil, lemon juice, and parsley and pour over mussels.
17) Serve immediately.