- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mushroom Cake Recipe
|Unsweetened chocolate squares||3 Ounce (3 Squares)|
|Self raising flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Superfine sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Almond paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground almonds||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), sifted|
|Superfine sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon, squeeze of|
|Apricot jam||1 Tablespoon, warmed, sieved|
|For cream topping|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), sifted|
|Semi-sweet chocolate square||1 Ounce, melted in milk (1 Square)|
|Hot milk||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 449 Calories from Fat 229
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.4%
Saturated Fat 15 g75.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 121.9 mg
Sodium 305.5 mg12.7%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10.1%
Sugars 33.1 g
Protein 6 g12.3%
Vitamin A 12.4% Vitamin C 1.4%
Calcium 10% Iron 17.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Get the oven ready at 375°F, Gas Mark 5.
2) Melt the chocolate into the milk gently and then, cool.
3) Sift together the salt and flour.
4) Cream the margarine or butter with the sugar until it results in a fluffy and light mixture.
5) Next, beat the eggs into it one at a time adding a spoon of flour each.
6) Blend in the chocolate milk mixture adding another spoon of flour.
7) Now, fold the mixture into the remaining flour gently.
8) Take 8 inch (20 cm.) deep cake tin, grease and line it.
9) Spoon the batter on it.
10) Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until it has well risen and become firm.
11) Allow it to cool on a wire cake rack.
12) Make the almond paste by mixing together the sugars, almonds, egg yolk and lemon juice.
13) Turn the mixture on to a sugared surface and knead it.
14) Roll out the dough into a 10 inch (25 cm) circle.
15) Brush jam on its surface and keep the cake in the middle.
16) Now, press the almond paste against the cake’s sides and trim the excess.
17) Form a stalk by rolling the trimmings.
18) Make the cream topping by creaming the margarine or butter and sugar and then, beating in the melted chocolate gradually.
19) After the cream is beaten well, chill it to make it firm.
20) Either spread or pipe it on top of the cake.
21) Using a fork, mark into groves to resemble a mushroom.
22) Place the stalk in the centre of the cake.
23) Serve with cream of mushroom soup.