- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe Video
|Stewing beef||1 Pound, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Salt and pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon (1-2)|
|Diced onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mushrooms||6 Cup (96 tbs), sliced (500 grams)|
|Chicken stock||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pearl barley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (or pot barley)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 258 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.4%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.4 mg
Sodium 512.2 mg21.3%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.8%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 18 g36.6%
Vitamin A 55.9% Vitamin C 10.2%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 10.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large bowl put beef and season it with thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix to coat well.
2. Place a Dutch oven or heavy stock-pot on medium high flame, and heat oil in it.
3. Drop beef and cook for about 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer it to a bowl, and set aside. Drain off excess fat from pot, if required.
4. In the same pot throw onion, celery, and carrot. Saute for about 5 minutes or until fragrant and translucent.
5. Add mushroom, chicken stock , and red wine. Stir and scrape the bottom.
6. Drop barley, tomato paste, and bay leaf. Throw the beef back into the pot. Bring it to a boil.
7. Reduce the flame to low, cover and let it simmer for about 60 minutes or until done. Remove and discard bay leaf.
8. Serve mushroom barley soup hot.
Add more oil, if required to saute vegetables.