- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
|Chicken pieces||3 Pound, cut into 8 pieces|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled|
|Celery with leaves||3 , halved|
|Carrots||2 , peeled, halved|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||2 , halved|
|Granny smith apple||1 , quartered and cored|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), peeled|
|Ginger piece||2 Inch, peeled|
|Water||10 Cup (160 tbs)|
|Yellow split peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Turmeric||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Coconut milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Plain non-fat yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||3 , seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice (For Garnish)|
|Flat-leaf parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
Calories 454 Calories from Fat 105
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.3%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g27.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 164.1 mg
Sodium 598.1 mg24.9%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.4%
Dietary Fiber 9.4 g37.5%
Sugars 11.6 g
Protein 58 g116.5%
Vitamin A 95.7% Vitamin C 45.4%
Calcium 16.1% Iron 20.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Clean chicken pieces under running water.
2. In a large heavy pot, place the chicken pieces.
3. Pierce cloves into onion and add it to the chicken.
4. Add celery, carrots, tomatoes, apple, garlic, ginger, parsley, bay leaf, salt, and peppercorns.
5. Pour enough water to cover the ingredients.
6. Heat over medium heat and bring to a boil.
7. Skim the foam as it rises to the top.
8. Lower the heat to medium.
9. Simmer on medium heat for about 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
10. Spoon out the chicken pieces from the broth.
11. Cool them down until they are easy to handle.
12. Remove the skin from chicken.
13. Separate the chicken meat from the bones.
14. Place the chicken in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
15. Discard cloves and bay leaf.
16. Put the onion back into the soup.
17. Add the split peas to the soup.
18. Cover the pot partially.
19. Cook over medium heat for about 1 1/2 hours until the peas blend into the soup.
20. In a small skillet, melt butter over low heat.
21. Add coriander, turmeric, cloves, and cayenne.
22. Cook with constant stirring for 1 minute to bring out the flavors from the spices.
23. Add it to the soup and cook for 5 minutes to blend flavors in the soup.
24. In a food processor, puree the soup in small batches until smooth.
25. Return the soup back to the pot.
26. Stir in the coconut milk and the shredded chicken.
27. Add seasonings to taste.
28. Heat the soup on low heat.
29. Serve in shallow soup bowls.
30. Top it with a dollop of yogurt.
31. Garnish with the chopped tomatoes and parsley.