- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Moussaka A La Turque Recipe
|Eggplants||2 1⁄2 Pound, cut lengthwise (Use 2 Large Ones, About 1 1/4 Pound Each)|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped to make about 2 cup|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Vegetable oil/Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, chopped|
|Lamb||2 Cup (32 tbs), cooked|
|Oregano leaf||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Soft white bread crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs) (From 4 Slices)|
Calories 641 Calories from Fat 336
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g57.9%
Saturated Fat 11.7 g58.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 237.8 mg
Sodium 1748.1 mg72.8%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g15%
Dietary Fiber 13.5 g53.8%
Sugars 15.5 g
Protein 35 g69.7%
Vitamin A 5.6% Vitamin C 32.4%
Calcium 13.4% Iron 27.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2) In a 15x10x1-inch baking pan, place the eggplants with the cut side down. Place on rack in oven, pour 1 1/2 inch deep boiling water in pan.
3) Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until eggplant is soft. Then remove and drain on paper towel.
4) Scoop out the eggplant pulp and chop eggplant into small pieces.
5) In a large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until soft, stir in the mushrooms and saute for 3 minutes.
6) Add eggplant and saute until the liquid in pan has evaporated. Stir in lamb, salt, pepper and oregano, cook for 3 minutes, then turn off the heat.
7) In a large bowl, beat the eggs, stir in the bread crumbs, then eggplant mixture, until well-blended.
8) Line an 8-cup charlotte mold or straight-sided mold or bowl with eggplant shells, skin side out, spoon eggplant mixture into shells and fold shells over the mixture. Cover with a double thickness of a foil.
9) In a kettle or steamer, place the mold on a rack or trivet, pour in the boiling water to half the depth of the mold.
10) Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove the mold from water, uncover and allow to stand on wire rack for 10 minutes.
11) Unmold on a heated serving platter, garnish with chopped parsley and a tomato rose, if desired and serve immediately.