- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lamb Moussaka In Sauce Recipe
|Aubergines||2 Pound (900 Gram)|
|Olive oil||4 Fluid Ounce (120 Milliliter, 1/2 Cup)|
|Onions||2 Large, sliced|
|Minced lamb||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Ground cinnamon||15 Milliliter (1/4 Teaspoon)|
|Ground allspice||15 Milliliter (1/4 Teaspoon)|
|Tomato puree||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Dry white wine||4 Fluid Ounce (120 Milliliter, 1/2 Cup)|
|Round black pepper||To Taste|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram, 4 Tablespoon)|
|Plain flour||2 Ounce (50 Gram, 1/2 Cup)|
|Milk||1 Pint (600 Milliliter, 2 1/2 Cups)|
|Grated nutmeg||1 1⁄2 Milliliter (1/4 Teaspoon)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Ounce (25 Gram, 1/3 Cup)|
|Toasted breadcrumbs||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
Calories 503 Calories from Fat 307
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.3%
Saturated Fat 13.1 g65.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 24.4 mg
Sodium 233 mg9.7%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 11.2 g
Protein 17 g33.5%
Vitamin A 23.5% Vitamin C 37.9%
Calcium 19.9% Iron 9.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Rinse the aubergines in several changes of cold water. Squeeze gently with your fingers to remove the excess water, then pat them dry on kitchen paper.
3. Heat some of the oil in a large frying pan. Fry the aubergine slices in batches until golden on both sides, adding more oil when necessary. Leave the fried aubergine slices to drain on kitchen paper.
4. Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds, then refresh in cold water. Peel away the skins and chop roughly.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Heat 30 ml / 2 tbsp oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and lamb and fry gently for 5 minutes, stirring and breaking up the lamb with a wooden spoon.
6. Add the tomatoes, cinnamon, allspice, tomato puree, parsley, wine and pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
7. Spoon alternate layers of the aubergines and meat mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish, finishing with a layer of aubergines.
8. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually blend in the milk. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, until thickened. Add the nutmeg, cheese and salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the aubergines and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Bake for 45 minutes until golden. Serve hot, sprinkled with extra black pepper, if you like.