- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Moroccan Fish Bastila (Pastilla) Recipe Video
|For the filling|
|Squid||1⁄2 Pound, cut into small pieces|
|Tilapia fish||1⁄2 Pound, cut into small pieces (or any white fish like catfish etc)|
|Shrimp||1⁄2 Pound, peeled, deveined|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped finely|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Saffron||1 1⁄2 Pinch|
|Red chilli pepper flakes||To Taste|
|Lemon juice||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||3⁄10 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Chinese vermicelli||4 Ounce|
|Spring roll pastry||1 Pound|
|Butter||4 Tablespoon, melted|
Calories 844 Calories from Fat 212
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.8%
Saturated Fat 13.1 g65.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 387.6 mg129.2%
Sodium 644.4 mg26.8%
Total Carbohydrates 116 g38.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.88 g3.5%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 40 g80.6%
Vitamin A 42% Vitamin C 29.7%
Calcium 8.6% Iron 18.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Fill a pot with water. Add the squids, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
2. After 15 minutes put the tilapia and shrimp, cover and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Transfer the sea food into a bowl and set aside.
3. In the same pot, boil the Chinese vermicelli for 5 minutes.
4. In a pan on medium heat melt 2 tablespoons butter. Put the sea food, parsley and spices. Pour the lemon juice and stir to mix well. Saute and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Drain the vermicelli and add it to the pan with sea food. At this stage taste and adjust the spices if required. Stir to mix and turn off the heat.
6. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
7. Brush melted butter in a pie dish. Arrange spring roll pastry all around the pie dish. Place them diagonally with one edge in the center of the dish and the other edge outside (as shown in the video). Each pastry should overlap the earlier one.
8. Brush the pastries with melted butter and put another pastry in the center of the dish. Continue to brush with melted butter in the center.
9. Brush the edges with egg yolk. Put the filling in the center and spread evenly.
10. Fold in the edges to the center to cover the filling. Brush it with melted butter and egg yolk.
11. Place another spring roll pastry to cover the bastilla completely. Tuck the edges inside the pie dish under the pastry sheets. Brush again with butter and egg yolk. Repeat this with 1 more pastry sheet.
12. Bake for around 20 minutes or till the pastry turns golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
13. In a serving plate, slice the bastilla and serve hot.
Broil the bastilla for few minutes to give it a deep golden brown color.