- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Moroccan Chicken Bastilla (Bastila / Pastilla) Recipe Video
|For chicken filling|
|Whole chicken||2 Pound|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped finely|
|Parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Ginger powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Saffron||1 1⁄2 Pinch|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (or more)|
|For egg layer|
|For almond filling|
|Blanched almonds||10 Ounce|
|Powdered sugar||4 Ounce|
|Orange blossom water||2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|For the pie wrap|
|Phyllo dough sheets||1 Pound|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted (1 stick)|
|Powdered sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 1273 Calories from Fat 696
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 79 g122.1%
Saturated Fat 21.2 g106.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 396 mg
Sodium 872.8 mg36.4%
Total Carbohydrates 96 g32%
Dietary Fiber 10.6 g42.2%
Sugars 33.7 g
Protein 53 g106.1%
Vitamin A 36.4% Vitamin C 39.7%
Calcium 25.8% Iron 42.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. CHICKEN FILLING: In a pan on high heat, drizzle the oil. Add the onions, parsley, and spices, mix well. Add the whole chicken and cover the pan, let the chicken cook for 10 minutes.
2. Add some water, just enough for the chicken to cook and get a thick sauce. Cover the pan and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
3. When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the sauce, let it cool down then separate the meat from the bone. Shred the meat into small pieces. Set aside.
4. EGG LAYER: To the above obtained sauce (Step 3) add the eggs. Lower the heat, and stir the eggs into the sauce.
5. Do not cover your pan and let the sauce evaporate. The egg mixture should become dry after around 15 minutes. Keep stirring from time to time. Set aside.
6. ALMOND FILLING: In another pan fry the almonds in the oil until they become golden brown. Drain off excess oil from the almonds.
7. In a food processor, blend the almonds with the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and orange blossom water until the almonds are crushed. Set aside.
8. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees
9. BASTILLA: Brush the baking pan generously with melted butter. Fold the phyllo pastry into 2 and put 3 layers of the same in the middle of the baking pan. Place folded phyllo pastry sheets around the baking pan where 1/3rd is exceeding the edge of the pan (as shown in the video).
10. Brush the phyllo pastry with melted butter. Spread the egg mixture in the middle of the pan, cover it with 2 layers of phyllo pastry.
11. Repeat step 10 with the chicken filling and the almond filling. Finally brush again with melted butter.
12. Carefully fold over the phyllo dough from all sides so that it covers the filling or center of the pie. Brush the top of the pastry with melted butter and egg yolk.
13. Put 3-4 layers of phyllo dough pastry on top and tuck them in the bottom of the pie. Brush the surface with melted butter and egg yolk.
14. Bake the bastilla for around 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes.
15. Garnish the bastilla with powdered sugar and cinnamon powder before serving.
16. In a serving plate, slice the chicken bastilla and serve it hot.